Saturday, December 19, 2009

Words, words, words

I've been reading a book that Justin gave me on the second night of Hanukkah, and, basically, I have been obsessed by it this entire week. I would find myself at work, staring out the window, wondering what Julia and Valentina were up to at that very moment, and then I'd sheepishly remember they were fictional characters and weren't doing much of anything other than being words on a page...  My intense concentration on the novel didn't leave me much time to do, well, anything else, which is why I haven't posted in a week.

But I'm back now and New-Book-less (though both Christmas & my birthday are coming up! *hint*  *hint*)

In bigger and more exciting than I-Love-Books news:  Uli spoke her first official word this week. It was a Hanukkah miracle! 

She's had "Ma-ma-ma" and "Da-da-da" going on for a while now, but they need a bit more polishing (and the loss of a syllable each) to really count as actual, fully-composed words.  

She's been signing "milk" and "more" for some time (using them interchangeably) to tell us, "I want [what's in your hand]/[what's over there somewhere]/[what I just dropped]/[mommy to nurse me]/[something not in view; please guess what it is and then make it appear before me]!"

But last Saturday she without a doubt and clear as a bell said, "More!" aloud, correctly and enthusiastically. And in front of witnesses (I was there, she was speaking to Justin, and my sister Emily was visiting).

The item so desired that it prompted her to break her 14-month code of silence?
A ride on Daddy's shoulders.




He'd put her down after romping around with her for ten minutes (he was exhausted) but scooped her right back up and danced around with her again after her request, so very very proud that he was the one she wanted more of.

Adorable. It was a wonderful beginning to the holiday.


*Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (of The Time Traveler's Wife fame).

1 comments:

Emily January 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

I feel quite special to have been there to hear Uli's first clearly spoken word! That only happens once in a lifetime afterall.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP