Saturday, December 5, 2009

Holiday Book List

Anyone have favorite book titles appropriate for the Hanukkah and Christmas (and winter solstice) season they'd like to share? I'm starting to actively try and grow our children's book collection and could use some seasonally appropriate ideas. Here are the titles we own so far:

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Classic, obviously, and one I look forward to reading aloud annually once Uli gets a bit older.

Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffman and illustrated by Maurice Sendak
Another classic must-read with intriguing (somewhat creepy) illustrations in Sendak's signature style. Again, for reading aloud to older children.




Christmas for 10 by Cathryn Falwell
A counting book. A family decorates, bakes, sings, and reads together in celebration of Christmas. (So far, this is Uli's favorite holiday book.)

The Bells of Christmas by Virginia Hamilton
I haven't finished reading this yet, but it's another one for older children.

A Year of Beasts by Ashley Wolff
Not a holiday book, per se, though does show the family preparing to cut down their Christmas tree in the December section. One of my favorites to read and re-read to Uli (few words but lots of story in the pictures).

My Home is the Polar Regions: Who Am I? by Valerie Tracqui
Again, not a holiday book but shows pictures of animals, like reindeer, who are part of many holiday stories/traditions.

Circle of Seasons by Gerda Muller
A beautifully illustrated book that is actually a compilation of four different books (one for each season) by Muller. The 'winter' section is particularly lovely and includes scenes of both Hanukkah and Christmas celebrations.

And that's really all we have so far. Not nearly enough (says the bibliophile)! So tell me, which must-have books am I missing?

2 comments:

Cathryn Falwell December 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Merry Christmas to Uli! I'm delighted that he likes my book, CHRISTMAS FOR 10!

Best wishes,
Cathryn Falwell

Thomasin December 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

Oh my! Thank you for stopping-by, Ms. Falwell! I didn't see your comment until today.

Yes, we are still reading Christmas for 10 every day. :-) (I think Daddy is ready to pack it up soon, though. We'll have to check-out your other books!)

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP