Taking a break from my family chit-chat, I just wanted to post this.
It's not really a funny subject, but I had a chuckle over this post from one of my favorite blogs, I Blame the Patriarchy.
Surely, the very best rape prevention suggestions ever (putting responsibility where it's due, rather than on the victim/potiential victim).
Sexual Assault Prevention Tips Guaranteed to Work
- Don’t put drugs in women’s drinks.
- When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.
- If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to assault her.
- If you are in a lift and a woman gets in, don’t assault her. You know what? Don’t even ogle her.
- When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not assault her.
- Never creep into a woman’s home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or assault her.
- When you lurk in bushes and doorways with criminal intentions, always wear bright clothing, wave a flashlight, or play “Boys Who Rape (Should All Be Destroyed)” by the Raveonettes on a boombox really loud, so women in the vicinity will know where to aim their flamethrowers.
- USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from assaulting women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you when in public.
- Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to assault a woman, you can hand the whistle to your buddy, so s/he can blow it to call for help.
- Give your buddy a revolver, so that when indifferent passers-by either ignore the rape whistle, or gather round to enjoy the spectacle, s/he can pistol-whip you.
Don’t forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don’t pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be assaulting her later. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.