Monday, April 4, 2011

April is National Poetry Month

What shall we do about poor little Tigger?
If he never eats nothing he'll never get bigger.
He doesn't like honey and haycorns and thistles
Because of the taste and because of the bristles.
And all the good things which an animal likes
Have the wrong sort of swallow or too many spikes.


"He's quite big enough anyhow," said Piglet.
"He isn't really very big."
"Well, he seems so." 


Pooh was thoughtful when he heard this, and then he murmured to himself: 


But whatever his weight in pounds, shillings, and ounces,
He always seems bigger because of his bounces.


"And that's the whole poem," he said. "Do you like it, Piglet?"
"All except the shillings," said Piglet. "I don't think they ought to be there."
"They wanted to come in after the pounds," explained Pooh, "so I let them. It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come."
"Oh, I didn't know," said Piglet.

~from The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne


Happy Poetry Month!

How am I celebrating? I've decided to join-in on the fun over at  Poetic Asides and write a poem a day this month (thank you, Lauren, for reminding me of the challenge!). I've decided it's just the ticket for the creative funk I've been in---a daily prompt to spur ideas and I need only share my top 5 once the month is finished (with no actual requirement that I share anything. But the idea is to share your top five and be considered for recognition.)

Writing a poem-a-day just not your thing? You can still celebrate national poetry month! Check out www.poets.org and their list of 30 Ways to Celebrate.

May the poetry be with you.


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP