Friday, January 1, 2010

In which I make lofty goals for the next year

Resolutions. You're either a person who loves them or hates them. And then there are those mythical folk who actually follow-through with them (elves? satyrs?).

For what it's worth, here are mine:

  • I will read a Book of Importance every month instead of continuing to let my mind shrivel on its current diet of teen pop lit and the pictures articles in Vogue
  • I will work on embracing my two halves and letting each express herself without overly harsh censure, because both have merit:  the me that reads Vogue cover-to-cover and the me that thinks fashion is wasteful frivolity in this post-modern time; the half that wants to grow my own organic food and the half that buys pop-tarts and can eat an entire tub of movie theatre popcorn; the part that strives for order and simplicity and home versus the part that misses going out to the bars and dancing the night away; the city girl, the country girl. Etc. 
  • I will create in 2010. Meals. Mittens. Puppets. Songs. Something each month on which I can smack my "Made By Me" label and feel that, if not talented, at least I'm a doer. 
  • I will actually and for reals try and get something published. Which means actually typing something up and actually sending it to someone. Actually. In real life.
  • I will train the dogs. No kidding.
  • I will lose the pounds (count 'em: 40) that I've accumulated this past decade. Not (just) so that my clothes fit better but because I want to be active and whole for my family.
  • I will be a better mate to my husband, who works incredibly hard for our family and whom I'm afraid I sometimes take a bit for granted. 
  • I will remember that this IS my life--it's not something coming up or that I'm still planning for, it's NOW. And it's good. And I should enjoy it, every moment. Even cleaning the bathrooms. (Well...)

How about you? Any resolutions you'd like to share? (It helps, making them public. There's a fear of ridicule if you don't follow-through that is remarkably invigorating.)

1 comments:

G Colby January 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

What a wonderful lists...I may have to "borrow" some of yours for my list! I would add to find one thing each day to be thankful for...even if it is something as small as he fish crackers are not so ground into the carpet I can't get it with the vacuum cleaner. Happy New Year!!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP