Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm now planning for a homebirth

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, in the past couple of weeks every plan for my labor and delivery has changed. Unexpected, but definitely a positive.

Quick hits:

  • My MD transferred me from her care because her clinic felt my prenatal and delivery care would be better handled by an OB than a family practitioner. This was because I wasn't comfortable submitting to the ultrasounds and non-stress tests they were asking of me (I felt like they were looking for issues that weren't indicated. They felt they needed to check in order to rule them out.)
  • The OB's care to whom I was eventually transferred did, in fact, seem to be competant and friendly and would have been able to handle my prenatal care. He told me he was made of "tough sauce" and everything I wanted was on the table (he'd give me his opinion but it'd be up to me to choose what to do). But he's only on-call at the hospital every 13 days, so chances weren't good that he'd be the one to deliver my baby (he said 20%). This is one of my main complaints about the OB care in Madison--you spent time developing a relationship with a doctor only to get one of their collegues seeing you in labor and guiding you through your medical needs on that date. 
  • My doula (who is also a midwifery student) told my story (with all its weird diagnosis and provider switchero drama) to her instructor.  As it all turns out, this CPM is not only comfortable with primary VBAC attempts such as my own (with the initial c-section performed due to breech presentation) but she was also willing to drive to Madison to attend a homebirth.
  • And drive here she did, to visit with me. This week we've finished gathering all our homebirth supplies and we're now waiting for Baby to decide to arrive. At home! Uli talks positively about the "big wives" and we're all looking forward to having the newest Propson delivered right here in our own bed. Or the futon. Or the bathroom. Or the living room. Or wherever. But here, at home. With no last minute 9 centimeter car ride to the hospital. No random on-call OB. Just us and our midwives.
Conclusion:  I feel great. Excited. Happy. Ready.

    4 comments:

    Betsy July 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM  

    YES! I am SO happy for you all! You already know this, but you are strong, capable, and committed (and certainly inspirational). Can't WAIT to hear all about it! This WILL be a healing birth!!! Much love and warmth to you.

    G Colby July 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

    I am SO HAPPY for all of you! I know this is what you wanted and I know that you will all do wonderfully. Lost of love from Colorado!

    Jamie August 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

    i read this on my phone but couldn't comment. first of all, YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! and then after that, HELLL YESSSSSSS!!!! :) so much love.

    Thomasin August 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM  

    I'm getting really excited! Our second home appointment is today. We have our stuff (well, except for the labor food and a bottle of liquid chlorophyl. Still haven't picked those up... But those could be last minute.) Come on, Baby!

      © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP