Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We don't need no thoughts controlled

Uli can’t even sit on her own yet, but that doesn’t mean it’s too early to start planning for her education, right? The people at the Montessori school we visited appeared pleasantly surprised by our interest. Apparently, they have few children under 6 months attending their open houses. ;-) I’m glad we visited and took their tour if only to confirm that, yes, we are true fans of Montessori methods. They just make sense to me.

I don’t know that I’ll really ever want to enroll Uli in a school away from home (I’m a homeschooler/un-schooler at heart). But it’s interesting, finding out what we can now about our possibilities. Justin was relatively happy with his experience in the Madison Public Schools, so that’s an option for us if we stay in the area. And one that’d be mostly already paid for (I say mostly because taxes don’t cover everything anymore. Did they ever? I thought they did, but nowadays you have to pay for books and sports and things that I believe used to be part of the free public school experience. Or at least something they held bake sales for.)

For now, I’m finding daily inspiration in a blog about a homeschooling/Montessori family with 13 kids. I love reading about their day-to-day fun (and challenges).  If you’re interested, check them out at: http://bakersdozen.typepad.com.

Regardless of where Uli is during future school hours (under my and her father’s tutelage or another’s; home, private, public school, or a mix), I want to be hands-on in my daughter’s education. And one thing: I will NOT be a parent who is afraid to take my child out of school for a personal day. Or for a vacation. Or to question her kindergarten homework load.

And in that line of thought, I ran across an excellent website last week: http://stophomework.com/. I found it very empowering.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP