Saturday, November 12, 2011

Three

My first baby is three. Wow.

And she's a lovely three. Smart. Funny. Beautiful.

But very, very three, if you know what I mean.


She's inquisitive, playful, and continually testing boundaries.

She has a growing vocabulary that includes phrases such as "You're being ridiculous, Mama!" (which she uses when I am insane enough to ask her to stop jumping on/off the furniture or to change out of her pjs) and "I just don't like to think about it" (which is usually preceded by my question, "Do you know you're being very rude?").

She loves her little sister and when we play house Ilse Louise (or "Ilse-Sueeze" per Uli's pronounciation) is her baby. However, Uli doesn't like it when Ilse looks at her toys and moves them out of her line of sight if she feels Ilse is paying too much attention to any one baby/fluffy animal/set of blocks (I try reminding her that rather soon Ilse will be mobile and able to do a bit more than just look...).

Sharing continues to be a difficult concept for her (I now completely understand why parents would have a big, fancy away-from-home birthday party for their three year old---neutral toys. I would do anything to avoid a repeat birthday tantrum with screams of "Those kids are playing with my toys! No, no no! I want them to go home!" Soooo embarrassing...)

I'm still not certain about television for a child her age, but she watches a PBS show here or there when a day is going well. Curious George, Super Why!, Sid the Science Kid, and library videos of Ni Hao Kai-Lan. And she's been introduced to the spooky world of Scooby Doo (the age-appropriateness of which may or may not be hotly contested in our home, but a show which I admit she does seem to enjoy). She also loves "the zoo show," especially on nights when we all pile into mommy and daddy's bed and enjoy a movie and popcorn before it's time to sleep.

She's beautiful, my girl. And is definitely now a young child rather than a toddler.

Happy three, Uli! We love you!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP