Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nursing Rules for Toddlers

It may be time to Lay Down the Law.  A nursing law, that is. And not this one that was signed into law this past year (go, Wisconsin!), but no, an actual Nursing Rules For the Propson Household law of sorts.

Because, while I don't want to wean her before she's ready, I do want to:

-sleep through the night. An actual 7+ hours. In. A. Row.
-avoid being bitten awake in the morning by a ravenous toddler
-eat my breakfast while it's still warm
-sit at lunch with a friend without having to lift up my shirt more than twice every ten minutes

And right now we're struggling on all these points.

Our nursings before bed and first thing in the morning are usually gentle, quiet, sweet times together. And her speed snacks during the days when I'm home with her seem pretty practical still.

But I do wish that when she wants to nurse she would nurse and when she wants to play she'd play and the two wouldn't always be so intermingled. As it is, she often tries to both nurse and play at the exact same time and ends up frustrated (-ing us both) by not really being able to satisfactorily do either well. Either her latch loosens or she drops her truck and then she stops both nursing and playing and seems saddened by the world's difficulties.

She sometimes compromises on the nursing/playing by squeezing a breast so that milk squirts out onto my shirt, which she thinks is a hilarious and thrilling and never-dull game. I am less enthralled.

I'm also thinking that a "code word" for nursing might come in handy, for clarity's sake. So far she's happy to say or sign "milk" when she wants to nurse, but I think she's confused about anatomy versus food. No part of my body is called "milk," but I think she understands it as all the same. At least, she certainly points to other women and says "milk" rather often now, and while they're quick to say they don't have any milk, I can see the glint in her blue eyes as though she's well aware of they're full of lies. And maybe they are from her point of view if all she's doing is simply pointing out anatomy.

Anyway, I don't actually have any particular life-changing rules in mind. Nor an idea for a code word. And maybe I don't even need to make serious changes. Or any changes. Overall, Uli's nursing less and less and I can see our days as Mamma and Nursling are numbered. Perhaps I should just enjoy this fleeting time as-is.

But I am getting irritated by my closet-full of milk stained shirts.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because it's been 2 years since I last slept longer than 5 hours in a row.


[Insert picture of my happy girl enjoying her milk. 
If only they hadn't all been lost in the computer crash.]

2 comments:

Jamie August 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

i've also been thinking about laying down some ground rules, before it's too late and it makes him flip his shit!

the bra and strap snapping, i can't stand it!
and NO BITING ALLOWED (new!)
and NO KICKING ME IN THE ARM
and NO SPINNING IN CIRCLES.

bleeeeehhhh.

i think it's kind of sweet the way she calls all the boobs 'milk', we've started calling them all 'the milks' in our house, which is charming and cute but will probably embarrass me later at the grocery store. whatever.

Thomasin August 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Ah, the kicking. Yes, I didn't mention that. But being kicked in the face is one of my least favorite parts of my day. :p

Circles? Hah!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP