Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Thank You" seemed the wrong thing to say

I had a 'well woman' check-up this week in which I was seen by both a nursing student (performing the exam first) and then the supervising physician (re-performing all points of the exam). Having twice the provider care took--not surprisingly--twice as long but it was nice to have so much time to discuss my health versus the 20 minute Hello-You're-Not-Dying-Goodbye I've had with some doctors in the past.

And without a nursing student present I would likely never have participated in the following exchange:

Nursing Student:  (excitedly) "I found your cervix! This is the fastest I've ever found one! It's right where it should be!"

Supervising Physician:   (approvingly) "It's a good one. Exactly like the pictures in the textbooks."

Me:   (flattered) "Um... Glad to hear it!"

That's me:  ol' reliable cervix, right where it should be. Sometimes being textbook is a good thing.

5 comments:

Momma April 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Congratuations!

Jamie April 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

hahaha! I was told the opposite once, that I have an awkwardly tilted uterus. I wasn't sure if I should apologize or what...

Lauren Wayne April 21, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Congrats! That's quite the accomplishment. :)

I've had that uterus conversation, too, the grumbles.

And I should say that for years I was paralyzed at eye exams because I always felt like I was failing them and disappointing the eye doctor. True story!

Thomasin April 22, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Ah, yes. Well, I've worked really hard. ;-)

What is this impulse to apologize to the doctor? I've had it too. They're there to give us information and aid us, but there's a feeling we need to impress them. Hmmm...

Anonymous May 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

A proud moment, indeed! :)

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP